Pensacola Homeless Outreach…fueled by Bitcoin.
Sean’s Outpost currently works with more than 400 homeless people in Pensacola, a city with a population of about 461,000. Some of these people have remained ambivalent about bitcoin, while others have embraced the cryptocurrency.
On March 18th Seans Outpost celebrated it’s 1 year anniversary. Here are some of the accomplishments so far:
-We have fed over 60,000 meals to the homeless of Escambia County
– We purchased “Satoshi Forest” a 9 acre parcel of Wooded land that is being used as a homeless sanctuary
– We have handed out over 1,000 blankets to the homeless on the streets of Pensacola, predominately when doing so was deemed illegal.
– We spoke out as the most vocal opponents against the blanket ordinance and got it struck down.
– We have assisted 9 people in getting off the streets permanently
– When another homeless outreach (Alfred Washburn Center) burned down in December, we were there the next day ensuring that not 1 meal was missed. We still feed there three times a week.
– We openend <BITHOC> The Bitcoin Homeless Outreach Center. It has now evolved into Outpost Thrift, an 11,000sqft thrift shop and storage facility that assists us in supporting the homeless in our area.
– We were the recipients of the first ever bitcoin transaction from North Korea http://thenextweb.com/asia/2014/01/21/north-korea-may-just-seen-first-bitcoin-transaction-month/
– We were the benefactor of “The ESPN sign guy” giving 11btc to us from his famous stunt http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ryaq1/heres_the_famous_espn_sign_im_the_bitcoin_sign/
– We were on Al Jazeera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6V06-TLLU
– We were on Liberty.me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAwmHieIps
– Charity Panel at Texas Bitcoin Conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMSuA2mpp4
– We were on Fusion.net http://fusion.net/modern_life/story/seans-outpost-helping-homeless-bitcoin-414337
– We are in the process of standing up a Sean’s Outpost Charter in Dallas, TX
– In total we raised (approximately) 733 Bitcoins in the last 12 months. 263 from the general public, 470 internally/private from our board of directors.
733 Bitcoins is a lot of money. We get asked all the time if we wish we would have held. Not for a minute. Getting to help build out this wonderful ecosystem has been one of the biggest privileges of our lives.
Here’s a great article about Sean the founder running cross country to raise awareness for the shelter: http://www.coindesk.com/seans-outpost-marathon-raise-1000-btc/
From the article:
“We served 30,000 meals in 2013 and we were able to make a downpayment and pay off the first year’s mortgage for Satoshi’s Forest, our nine-acre homeless sanctuary. We got a lot done in 2013 for a new charity.”